Avaya's New Android Tablet


Avaya announced it's new Android-based tablet device for business.


Cisco's version of iPad for business, Cius, is going for around $1,000. Avaya's device, and the software Flare, costs $2,000+. My iPad, $750. No doubt my iPad is not optimised for Video, Voice and Web conferencing. It'd be great to see one of these in action. I shall reserve judgement until my next visit to their demo centers.


The design of these devices are obviously based off the popularity of the iPad. I'm already using my iPad for many things. Doddling, DJing (yes!), taking meeting notes, trying to maintain a GTD system, games, and of course, reading news, and magazines. I've even tried (sucessfully) making a phone call with it! The experience of video over 3G was however, horrible. Even with a WiFi connection, I find the resolution-to-speed performance undesirable.


Assuming these two giants really pulled it off and optimised the device for Voice, Video, and Web conferencing, whilst integrating their existing UC suites of solutions, there's still this question: What is these devices looking to displace? The $200 IP Phone? Or the $2000 personal video confc? Spending $1,000 to buy a personal "toy" is one thing. How many companies can justify it's company expenses on these devices?


0 comments:

Post a Comment